Related Posts with Thumbnails

First press release: Leisure key to teen campaign

Friday 22 January 2010

First press release: Leisure key to teen campaign.
 



~ Taken from the Burton Mail, Story First Published: 18/01/2010 09:38:54, Original



by RICHARD CASTLE

A BURTON schoolboy will campaign to improve the town’s 'boring' leisure facilities if elected to the UK Youth Parliament (UKYP).

Adam Clarke, a pupil at Abbot Beyne School, in Winshill, is running in the forum's 2010 elections.

The 15-year-old, who has stood in the elections for the past two years, is hoping it will be 'third time lucky'.

Adam, of Branston, said he was inspired to stand for the UKYP after being bullied at school.

He said: “I’d always thought about going into politics but, when I was in Year Seven, I used to get bullied and that convinced me I needed to be in a position to stand up for people who need help.

“I want the ability to make changes and make a real difference to young people’s lives, with one of my priorities being to tackle bullying."

Adam, who lives with his father Lee, mother Suzanne and younger sisters Natalie and Sophie, says he is 'constantly frustrated' by Burton’s lack of leisure attractions.

The Newman Drive resident said: “Growing up near town, it really brings it home how little there is for young people to do in Burton.

“The problem’s been made a lot worse by the closure of the bowling alley and now the Meadowside is also closed for refurbishment.

“If elected, I can lobby councils and the Government to improve things and one of my top priorities will be to make Burton a better place for young people.

Adam has been an 'active member' of the UK Youth Action Council for the last year and says his experience makes him a 'strong candidate'.

He is also aiming to 'improve the negative image' of young people and put pressure on the Government to reduce or abolish university tuition fees and provide cheaper transport for under-18s.

Adam said: “Being an MP is ultimately what I want to do with my life. I want to be in a place where I can really affect change.”

MYP voting starts on Saturday, January 23, and ends on Friday, February 5. Anyone wanting to vote for Adam can do so online at www.speakoutonline.com or by texting 'vote Adam' to 60003.

Share
blog comments powered by Disqus